Have you been looking for ways to enhance your outdoor living space? One of the best ways to add functionality and unique elements to your outdoor space is with an outdoor shower. If you’ve never had an outdoor shower you may not even realize how much you need this element. But once you have it, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without one!
The Benefits of an Outdoor Shower
- Remember all those times when you or your family members tracked in dirt and mud from the garden onto the kitchen floor you just mopped? With an outdoor shower, you can quickly rinse off mucky shoes and feet so the dirt stays outside where it belongs.
- If you have young kids, you know how challenging it can be to get them to take their bath after a long day of playing outside. But it won’t take any convincing to get the kids to wash up in the outdoor shower. Your kids will love the novelty of “bathing” outside!
- Have you ever wished you could quickly cool off so you could continue your gardening on the hottest days of the year? With an outdoor shower, you can cool off with a quick spritz with minimal interruption to your gardening work.
- If you have a pool, an outside shower is a must. Chlorine from the pool is very drying to hair and skin. A fast rinse under an outdoor shower ensures that you reap the benefits of the pool without the drawbacks of pool chemicals.
How to Build an Outdoor Shower
- First, locate your outdoor shower near indoor plumbing, such as on the outside of the bathroom, kitchen or an outdoor faucet.
- Next, use a post hole digger to mark out where you’ll put the corner posts of the shower “stall.”
- Have a friend hold the landscape timbers vertically in the post hole while you fill the hole with wet concrete mix. Use a level to make sure they are plumb before you allow the concrete to set.
- A sidewalk mold can be used to lay out the shower “floor.” Or it can be framed in traditionally with lumber. Lay them in place, then fill with the concrete mixture. Use a trowel to smooth the concrete and allow to cure, then remove the molds or frame. Porcelain tile can make a great addition for a splash of style.
- Use power and hand tools to attach decorative fence pickets to the outside face of the posts, using exterior grade screws.
- Attach 2x4’s to the side of the house to form the back two corners of the stall.
- Attach three decorative fence panels to enclose the stall. Remember not to hang them too high. You only need to cover the middle two thirds of the person taking a shower. Consider using fence panels with a lattice top.
- If you’d like your outdoor shower to have a more modern look, walls can be built using treated lumber with decorative ledger stone.
- For the plumbing fixtures, contact a professional plumber. You will want to make sure the plumbing is up to code and done by a licensed professional.
About The Author
Kate holds a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism. She minored in Psychology while pursuing a personal interest in Creative Writing, specializing in Real Estate, Health and Wellness, Food, Nutrition, DIY, Gardening, Pets, Business and Finance.
The articles and other content contained on this website/blog are provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for any purposes. While it is our goal to provide you with up-to-date, relevant and useful information on a wide range of topics, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, concerning the reliability, suitability, completeness or accuracy of any of the information made available on this site. The articles and information contained on this site are not intended to provide legal, accounting or other professional or business advice and should not be treated as a substitute for the advice of a professional with knowledge of the facts and circumstances of your specific situation. By accessing this site, you agree that you will not seek to hold E.C. Barton & Company or any of its affiliates liable for any losses or unanticipated costs or assert any other claim based on your use of this site or on the reliance on the content contained herein.